Friday, May 22, 2009

Mentorship

Heart Solutions

Newsletter

written by Esther Hart

Inspirational Speaker and Freedom Coach

author of Journey to Personal Freedom

Issue # 3

My Experience with the Women’s Business Network Mentorship Program

I first joined the WBN in January of 1993 and that June I was awed by the stories of the successes of the women in the mentorship program as they received their diplomas. That fall I wanted to join the program but one of the criteria was to have a goal to work toward. I was in such a state of despair at the time that I couldn’t think of a single goal. My solution was to volunteer to be on the committee. That way I could attend the meetings. At one of the meetings we were challenged to voice our dreams. Instead of thinking of what we thought we were capable of achieving, we were told to challenge the universe with a dream that was too big for the universe to provide. This gave me a whole new perspective on finding a goal.

A few years later I had finally remembered that I had a passion to be a speaker. I started to tell people about my dream and some would ask if I were going to join the mentorship program. I kept saying I should join but at that time I was so happy to have found my dream that I was afraid to go after it in case I didn’t succeed and then I wouldn’t have a dream any more. I knew that the mentorship program catapulted people forward and I was still very tentative. I

In October 1996 I was the speaker for the WBN dinner meeting. My topic was Journey to Personal Freedom. After the meeting one of the women asked if I would be her mentor. I agreed and decided that I should go to the Mentorship Program meetings with her to support her. When I got to the meeting she wasn’t there. In fact she never came back. But I was presented with a sheet to fill in my goals and target dates. It was powerful.

Over the next seven months my life changed. Because of the support of women in this group I sought out more opportunities to speak. In April I started writing my first book also called Journey to Personal Freedom.

The following year I chaired the mentorship program and was empowered even more to continue pursuing my dream. During that year my book was published, I continued to develop my speaking career and became a freedom coach to many people on an individual basis.

I am immensely grateful for the WBN mentorship program’s influence in my life and I encourage everyone to experience the benefit of a mentor or coach to make their journey immeasurably easier than going it alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment